Herrington Bethel United Methodist Church exists to bring people to a personal saving relationship with Jesus Christ, and to bring believers to maturity in the faith through worship, study equipping and to place them in ministry, both within and without the congregation.
Herrington Bethel United Methodist Church, 1843
John Herrington, founder of Bethel Methodist Episcopal Church, was born Jan. 1, 1759 in Pennsylvania. His parents carried him to safety just before they were killed by Native Americans. He was a boy soldier in the Revolutionary War under George Washington. Herrington was a man of great faith and loyalty.
1819—Herrington purchased Carroll County farmland from Frederick Woods for $1,000.
1823—George Long was the first to be buried in the church cemetery. He was accidentally shot by his brother Jacob, while pursuing a wounded deer.
March 7, 1825—Herrington deeded the amount of one acre and nine-portions to the trustees for a church. The log structure was built with trees from Herrington’s farm.
1842—Over the years, the log church began to look dilapidated. Herrington thought it a sin to hold services in such surroundings. Legend has it, he went to the church and set it afire, then returned to sit on his front porch and watch it burn (the stone house is still standing south of the church on Arbor Road).
1843—Stone for a new church was quarried from the farm. The cornerstone was laid in 1843.